Environment Book Prize 2019: this summer’s selection for going green
Posted on July, 18th 2019.
With its Environment Book Prize, the Veolia Foundation has been honoring books devoted to the challenges of our planet since 2006. The winners will be announced on September 14th. Here are the 2019 nominations.
Nominations cover the oceans, biodiversity, protecting the wild, the history of the Earth and the Anthropocene epoch, and our planet’s future.
This literary competition supports and promotes writers and publishing houses that work to raise public awareness of environmental issues. Over the last fifteen years, the event has spotlighted over 260 books, eighteen of which walked off with a prize.
Who will win in 2019? The jury met under the presidency of Dominique Bourg, a philosopher and professor at the University of Lausanne, accompanied by environmental experts, writers, journalists, researchers and representatives of the Veolia Foundation.
In May they established a short list of twenty books, and on July 8th shortened the list to seven nominees. The two winners will be announced in Nancy on September 14th, 2019 during the "Le Livre sur la Place" book fair.
Nominations in 2019 cover the oceans, biodiversity, protecting the wild, the history of the Earth and the Anthropocene epoch, and our planet’s future. Enough to go green this summer!
Discover the seven books nominated for the 2019 Environment Book Prize, three of which are competing for the Young People’s Prize.
- Manifeste ! L’océan est notre avenir by Fanny Agostini - Éditions Flammarion - Autrement - October 2018 – 192 pages - €22
- L’anthropocène décodé pour les humains by Nathanaël Wallenhorst - Éditions Le Pommier - February 2019 - 204 pages - €16
- Le bug humain by Sébastien Bohler - Éditions Robert Laffont - February 2019 - 270 pages - € 20
- La part sauvage du monde, penser la nature dans l’Anthropocène de Virginie Maris - Éditions Seuil - September 2018 - 272 pages - €19
Books nominated for the Young People’s Prize 2019
- Mission sauver les abeilles by Henri Clément and Marion Puech - Éditions Rue de l’échiquier - April 2019 - 40 pages - €8
- Océans… et comment les sauver by Amandine Thomas - Éditions Sarbacane - April 2019 - 40 pages - €16.90
- Terramania - Biodiversité, Écologie, Écosystèmes by Emmanuelle Figueras - Éditions Milan - October 2018 - 48 pages - €19.90
Main picture: © Getty Images